Viking Helmet Birthday Cake

Wow, this Viking Helmet birthday cake I made for a friend's husband's 30th birthday/Fourth of July was a very learning experience for me and my baking partner, Amy.


When my friend emailed me sample photos of what she wants the cake to look like, Amy and I thought it would be a difficult, but easily do-able. We never imagined the challenges that we would face when creating this cake! Fun times!

Trying to figure out the perfect size for the cake to feed 20-25 was interesting because we decided to do a quarter sheet cake with a semi-circle cake on top.


The cakes were chocolate with vanilla and strawberry filling, which was delicious!


To create the horns of the Viking helmet, we had the option of using different materials, including shaped Styrofoam. Instead, we opted for the edible Rice Krispies treat. Amy was in charge of making and creating these horns, which she foamed so smoothly! What we didn't take into consideration was how long it would take for the Rice Krispies to harden. Oops!


I covered the round Viking helmet cake with tinted fondant and added edible silver dust to give it a metal-like shine. With the extra fondant, Amy and I created the details for the helmet. Notice that every single ball on the helmet is perfect round and evenly sized... that is Amy's doing! Love her!



We were really proud of our Viking Helmet, minus the horns. When it came to adding the horns, which we covered in smooth white vanilla frosting and edible gold dust for shine, we realized that the weight of the horns was not going to stand in the helmet cake. Oh no!

(Yes, we know the Rice Krispies horns look a lot like bananas on the stick... or something else. Haha!)


After much discussion, contemplating, and research, we decide to take a risk and try to add the horns and use lollipop sticks to hold the horns in place. The sticks can stay there until the horns decides to stay in place or it can stay in there permanently.

Also, notice the sheet cake the Viking helmet is resting on? Chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and covered in white fondant. That is THE smoothest fondant sheet cake I have worked with and it was all thanks to Amy again! Her attention to detail and ability to perfect things is amazing.

I was so nervous about this cake, but after adding some Fourth of July flair (strawberries and blueberries), the overall cake turned out quite alright, if you can ignore the propping sticks.

Much thanks to my amazing baking partner Amy for going through this learning experience with me. I honestly don't know what I would do without her! Also, I have to thank my sister Cindy for helping me carefully deliver this cake, which was another stress factor in this experience!

I hope the birthday boy had a wonderful time celebrating his big 3-0 and had a happy Independence Day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment